Motor Vehicle Inspection
Welcome to the Motor Vehicle Inspection Bureau, a division of the Department of Safety and Permits.
All vehicles registered in Orleans parish are required to undergo an annual inspection and receive an inspection sticker, also locally known as a “brake tag”.
Inspection prices are based on gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), as listed on the vehicle. On most vehicles, the GVWR is usually listed on the inside door panel of the driver's side.
- Vehicles less than 6,001 lbs. GVWR - $25
- Vehicles 6,001 through 10,000 lbs. GVWR - $30
- Vehicles greater than 10,000 lbs. GVWR - $40*
If your vehicle has a gross weight limit of less than 6,001 lbs. and is less than 10-years old, you can choose to have either a 1-year inspection for $25 or 2-year inspection for $50.
Note: If you’ve already purchased a one-year inspection, you will not able to pay the difference for a two-year inspection sticker.
* Vehicles greater than 10,000 lbs GVWR may only be inspected at a heavy vehicle inspection station.
Inspection stickers expire on the last day of the month punched on the tag. Any vehicle presented for inspection with an expired tag is subject to a late fee of $2.00 per month, with such fees not to exceed the price of an annual inspection.
- If you recently purchased a vehicle, the inspector will use the “date acquired” from the vehicle registration certificate to determine any delinquency fees owed. If the date acquired is over two months, the driver will have to pay late fees of $2 per month, not to exceed the price of a one-year inspection.
- If you recently moved from out of state, and do not have a previous inspection certificate, the inspector will use the registration date found on the vehicle registration certificate to determine any delinquency fees owed. If this date is over two months, the driver will have to pay late fees of $2 per month, not to exceed the price of a one-year inspection.
- If your windshield is replaced, thus destroying your previous sticker, you will have to pay for a new inspection, even if there is time left before the tag expires. If you are able to provide proof of the previous inspection, you may not have to pay additional delinquency fees. Contact us for more information. Please include the previous tag’s serial number, inspection location, inspection date, and vehicle information (make, model, year).
There are no refunds or exchanges for inspections. The fee is for the inspection of the vehicle, not the sticker itself. The inspection sticker only certifies that the vehicle has been inspected.
If the vehicle fails inspection, the station will issue a 30-day temporary inspection certificate, along with reasons for failure.
This temporary certificate is proof that the vehicle has been inspected and is considered a legal and valid inspection certificate.
The driver will have 30 days to fix the issue and must return to the same satellite station to receive a free re-inspection. There is no extension beyond the 30 days.
If the driver returns after 30 days, he/she will be required to pay for a new inspection, plus a delinquency fee of $2 per month, not to exceed the price of a one-year inspection.
Please contact the Motor Vehicle Inspection Bureau via phone at (504) 658-7170 or email email@example.com with questions, concerns, or complaints.