Orleans Parish Permit Information
Under City Ordinance, all Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) operating in Orleans Parish are required to have an Orleans Parish EMT Permit. The permit is to be kept on the EMT's person at all times while performing EMT duties. Occasional compliance checks are done.
All applicants must download and fill out the Orleans Parish EMT Permit. The following materials must be submitted with the EMT Permit application in original document form. Fraudulent copies will result in permit being revoked.
- Current National Registry Certification Card
- Current Louisiana Driver's License - Class D
- State of Louisiana EMT Permit
- Defensive Driving Certification - must not expire within 30 days of date of application
- CPR Certification - must not expire within 30 days of date of application
- ACLS Certification - must not expire within 30 days of date of application (Paramedics Only)
- Annual Permit Fee of $35 by money order - payable to the City of New Orleans
First Time Permits
First-Time Permits are issued by New Orleans EMS by appointment only. To schedule an appointment call Major Becky Benelli at (504) 658-2732, or contact her via email at email@example.com.
It is the responsibility of each medic and EMS Service to keep current copies of all documents required on file with EMS. Any lapse will result in immediate revocation of permit, and the employee will be subject to a late fee and additional application fee to get it restored.
All permit renewals should be mailed to:
New Orleans EMS
ATTN: Parish Permits
2929 Earhart Blvd.
New Orleans, LA 70125
Late fees will not be applied as long your renewal is post marked by the last day of the month.
A late fee of $100.00 will be assessed if the application is not submitted in its entirety prior to the expiration date, or if the applicant fails to provide the City of New Orleans with updated copies of expired certifications. A fee of $135.00 will be assessed to all applicants who allow their LA State EMT License to lapse or their Orleans Parish Permit to be revoked.