Navigation Search Map (504) 658-4000

Translate this page

The City of New Orleans

Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu

Mayor's Press Releases Subscribe to the Mayor's Press Release feed

Mayor Landrieu announces demolition work on the former Methodist Hospital structure

October 31, 2012

NEW ORLEANS, LA – Today, Mayor Mitch Landrieu and the Orleans Parish Hospital Service District “A” (HSD Board) announced that partial demolition of the former Pendleton Memorial Methodist Hospital structure has begun. The demolition and removal of portions of the existing hospital complex will make it possible for the new hospital facility construction to begin.

“We are excited to be able to share more good news about this project. This is another important milestone that puts us closer to our ultimate goal,” said Mayor Mitch Landrieu. “Earlier this month, we received a commitment from the federal government to insure a $97.6 million mortgage loan. Now, just a few weeks later, the demolition of parts of the old structure is physical proof that we are moving in the right direction. We are completely and totally committed and will continue to move forward to bring this full service hospital to the New Orleans East community.”

“This demolition paves the way for a first class hospital for the citizens of New Orleans East, the Lower Ninth Ward, and Gentilly,” said Ronnie Burns, Chairman of the HSD Board. “I look forward to continuing my work with the Mayor to restore a full service hospital for our community.”

“As the old walls come down, the new ones can go up. This demolition is an important step in our process and is great news for the New Orleans East community and our entire city as we continue towards our goal of a full service hospital.” said Dr. Karen DeSalvo, City Health Commissioner. “We have been working extremely hard with a singular focus towards our goal.”

DURR Heavy Construction, LLC will perform the demolition of the existing structure, which primarily includes buildings located on the west side of the complex. These buildings consist of one, two, three and six story buildings originally built in 1967. The demolition scope also includes removal of interior components in the East Tower.

Since he took office in May 2010, Mayor Landrieu has worked aggressively to open a full-service hospital at the former Pendleton Memorial Methodist Hospital site. The $130 million project will restore full-service healthcare to residents in New Orleans East and is slated to open before the end of 2013.

 
Add to Twitter Add to Newsvine Add to Reddit Add to Yahoo Bookmarks Add to Yahoo MyWeb Add to Facebook Add to LinkedIn Add to Digg Add to Google Bookmarks Add to Terchnorati Add to StumbleUpon Add to Delicious

Last updated: 10/31/2012 2:43:16 PM

Was this page helpful?
 
 

 
 Security code