A permit is required to paint, alter, maintain, or relocate a public mural in the City of New Orleans. The City’s regulations are designed to regulate the aesthetics of an area as to the size and design of murals in a given area. Depending on the details and location of your mural, you may need multiple permits.
- $500.00 Base Fee
- Other fees may apply
- Sketch of proposed mural clearly indicating the copy and detailing colors and sizes
- Fill out and submit the BUILDING_PERMIT_MASTER_APPLICATION and SIGN_PERMIT_APPLICATION_SUPPLEMENT_H
- Letter from property owner or lease giving permission for property use for the permit purpose, if applicant is not the owner
- Gather the documentation above and submit to the Murals Review Board (City Council). You must get permission from this body, authorizing the proposed mural. The clerk for City Council will then transmit your material to the City Planning Commission (CPC)
- If the decision is for approval, CPC will guide the applicant through the next steps of the process
City Planning Commission
Last updated: 6/7/2016 10:39:35 AM
Was this page helpful?