As per city ordinance all EMTs operating in Orleans Parish, regardless of level, are required to have an Orleans Parish EMT Permit. The permit is to be kept on the EMT's person at all times while performing EMT duties. Occasional compliance checks are done.
Only new (first time) permits are issued by New Orleans EMS at 400 N. Jeff Davis Ave, by appointment only. To schedule an appointment call (504) 658-1557 or (504) 799-5468.
All permit renewals should be mailed to New Orleans EMS at 400 N. Jefferson Davis Ave, New Orleans, LA 70119. Late fees will not be applied as long your renewal is post maked by the last day of the month.
The following materials must be submitted with the EMT permit application in original document form. Fraudulent copies will result in permit being revoked.
1. Current National Registry Certification Card
2. Current Louisiana Driver's License - Class D
3. State of Louisiana EMT Permit
4. Defensive Driving Certification - must not expire within 30 days of date of application
5. CPR Certification - must not expire within 30 days of date of application
6. ACLS Certification - must not expire within 30 days of date of application (Paramedics Only)
7. Annual Permit Fee of $35 by money order - payable to the City of New Orleans
New Orleans EMS tracks expiration dates of all credentials. It is the responsibility of each medic and EMS Service to keep current copies on file with our office. Any lapse will result in immediate revocation of permit, and the employee will be subject to a late fee and additional application fee to get it restored. Also, the EMS service can be assessed with fines and revocation of their owner’s permit.
A late fee of $100.00 will be assessed if the application is not submitted in its entirety prior to the expiration date or if the applicant fails to provide the City of New Orleans with updated copies of expired certifications. A fee of $135.00 will be assessed to all applicants who allow their LA State EMT License to lapse or their Orleans Parish Permit to be revoked.