Jackson Square: Guidelines for Weddings
Booking Jackson Square
Jackson Square is not available for major events due to restricted use policy. To apply to use Jackson Square for a wedding or other small event, see the fees and guidelines below, and fill out the Jackson Square Booking Form.
||201 and above
Guidelines for Weddings performed in Jackson Square
Jackson Square is a public park and may be used as a backdrop for an intimate exchange of vows with the written permission of the Department of Parks and Parkways. However, the square must remain open to the public. It is the policy of the Department of Parks and Parkways to issue permits for wedding ceremonies and allow only one bride in the square at a time. There will be no other permits issued during a wedding ceremony including other wedding permits, photography or any other event.
- No food , drink or receptions are allowed before, during or after the ceremony.
- A formal Booking Request Form outlining the date, time, number of guests, chairs, music, runners, podiums and any other affiliated items must be submitted at least two weeks in advance for processing. This form can be found at the link above or by calling the department at 504-658-3200. A non-refundable $50 processing fee must be received before reservations are scheduled. You may also need additional permits; for more information visit the Parks & Shelter Permits page.
- Upon receipt of the booking request form, a letter of permission/approval will be sent to the interested party detailing the deadline for fees/deposits and provisions to be met to place the event on the Parkways Event calendar.
- A litter/damage deposit will be required by all parties and will be returned if there has been compliance with all the rules have been complied with and all parties involved (including vendors) have vacated the premises on time. All litter including flowers, rose petals, rice is prohibited, birdseed etc. must be removed from parks grounds immediately following the ceremony. This will insure the return of the litter/damage deposit provided no damage to the square’s plant materials, fixtures or any other park amenity has occurred.
- In accordance with ordinance number 17271 Mayoral Council Series, Section 154:1651 through 1664; all Second Line Parades must be permitted via NOPD. Contact Sgt. Walter Powers, Jr., (504) 658-6243, NOPD Special Events and Permits, to file for a parade permit in Jackson Square. Only properly permitted Second Line parades will be allowed in the square.
- A copy of the permission letter must be presented to Parkways staff upon arrival in the square.
- No amplified music will be allowed. A small 3-4 piece ensemble may play only 3 selections during the entire ceremony.
- Only the paved portions of the Square may be used. You may set up stanchions and chairs (on paved portions only) no more than one (1) hour before the ceremony and they must be removed immediately after the event. The limit of 100 chairs must be adhered to in order to avoid forfeiture of deposit.