Expanding Special Event
A one off or recurring event that attracts international and domestic visitors and participants, receives domestic and international media coverage and has the potential for high economic benefit within the municipality or region.
Download the Special Events Permit Guide for more information about permitting requirements.
Characteristics may include but not be limited to:
- Use of multiple local venues or sites;
- Event with an expanded footprint (i.e. several street closures, use of public right-of-way extends across neighborhoods, extensive traffic redirection/routing)
- Utilization of up to 2 hotels;
- Expected attendance between 10,000 and 200,000
- Two to three points of governmental agency interaction (i.e. visit One Stop Shop, approval from City Council member, working with the Event Support Team, and coordination with Homeland Security);
- Cost of between $50,000 and $200 000 in City services, staff time and equipment use; and
- Provides the City of New Orleans with media/branding opportunities via television, radio, or print advertising.
Examples include an annual arts festival takes place over a two week period at interior and exterior venues throughout the city drawing participants and audience from around the world.
Additional Requirements & Considerations
Special Event Types
Parade / Second-Line
Race / Marathon
Professional Sporting Event
Last updated: 8/15/2016 11:16:01 AM
Was this page helpful?