Navigation Search Map (504) 658-4000

Translate this page

Winter Weather, Jan. 12-18

The National Weather Service forecasts freezing temperatures in the New Orleans area beginning Friday, Jan. 12 through Thursday, Jan. 18. A mix of very light wintry precipitation is possible in the evening of Tuesday, Jan. 16, but no accumulation is anticipated. Residents and visitors are advised to take precautions during winter weather.

Visit NOLA Ready

The City of New Orleans

Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu

Who can get an Orleans Parish brake tag

All vehicles registered in Orleans Parish must have a City of New Orleans brake tag. This includes motorcycles*, scooters*, RVs and trailers.

All vehicles registered in Orleans Parish will have a domicile code of "3600" listed on the upper right section of their vehicle registration. If yours doesn’t, even if the address listed is an Orleans parish address, you will have to contact the OMV.  They will need to change your domicile and issue you a new registration.

Vehicles exempt from inspection are:

  • Farm Equipment: Farm tractors, self-propelled farm equipment, rubber-tired farm wagons and carts, drawn rubber-tired farm equipment, and implements of animal husbandry which are designed primarily for field use and which are operated or moved only incidentally on the streets or highways of the city or state, and which are used for farm purposes only.
  • Antique Show Cars: Motor vehicles which are 25 years old or older and which are used primarily for exhibition in shows, parades, tours, and other special uses and not for general transportation and which are registered and licensed as antique as provided in R.S. 32:707(L) of the Louisiana Revised Statutes.
  • Single-Axle Trailers: Single-axle two-wheel trailers and boat trailers.
  • Heavy Interstate Vehicles: Commercial motor vehicle truck tractors, trailers, and semitrailers engaged in interstate commerce which are subject to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, provided that such commercial vehicles fully comply with the requirements of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR 396.17).

* Drivers of motorcycles and scooters over 5 horsepower are required to have a motorcycle endorsement on the driver’s license to pass inspection. Vehicles inspected without the driver having the proper endorsement will receive a 30-day temporary brake tag.

Add to Twitter Add to Facebook Add to LinkedIn Add to Google Bookmarks Add to Reddit

Last updated: 5/2/2017 8:36:18 AM

Was this page helpful?


 Security code