January 2018 Healthy Hero- Derek Wilson
Derek Wilson is a as a Peer Leader at Krewe de Lose, Derek alternates with other PL’s in leading our 3 weekly classes of nutrition education discussion, celebrating participants’ successes, leading line dances at the start of class, and providing an overall encouraging and supportive environment for participants on their healthy living journeys. Derek usually provides the group with a word or phrase of the week to inspire everyone, and he is huge in creating an overall positive and engaged atmosphere during Krewe de Lose classes. For more information on Krewe de Lose:https://medicine.Tulane.emu/centers-institutes/Brenton-family-health-healing-center/programs/krewe-de-lose
February 2018 Healthy Hero-Teddy Harkness
Leah Duncan has dedicated herself to promoting healthy eating by traveling throughout the state to conduct cooking classes and lectures at community events assisting organizations in providing healthy food options. Leah is co-chair, vendor coordinator and spokesperson for the New Orleans Veggie Fest, now in its eighth year. New Orleans Veggie Fest is hosted by and benefits the Humane Society of Louisiana, for which Leah also serves as board member and Vegan Outreach Director.
Are you a Healthy Hero?
Fit NOLA, Whole Foods Market New Orleans , Athleta and Humana are proud to announce the Fit NOLA Healthy Hero program. A "Healthy Hero" is a New Orleanian dedicated to improving the physical and nutritional wellness of their community. We name a new Healthy Hero each month!
- Have you made changes in your life to be more active and eat healthier?
- Are you working with members of your community to improve the health and fitness of its residents?
- Have you created or participated in a health & wellness program that encourages others to make healthy lifestyle changes? (For example: a mentorship, nutrition, or fitness program)
- Have you helped others overcome challenges to reach their health or fitness goals?
If so, we want to celebrate your efforts to improve the health & fitness of your community by recognizing you as a “Healthy Hero!"
Healthy Heroes will receive the following gifts from our community partners:
- A customized gift basket from Whole Foods Market® Broad Street location
- A Swag Bag from Humana
- A shop party held at Athleta, complete with refreshments and a personal FitPro Stylist to service them and up to 25 guests, an "outfit" consisting of a top, bra, and bottom appropriate to work out in
- One  month of unlimited classes at Higher Power NOLA cycle and yoga facility
- A gift card to the Daily Beet
Rules and Regulations:
- All submissions must be made via online form
- Nominees must reside in Orleans Parish
- Questions concerning the nominations can be made via email to: email@example.com
- Nominees may only submit one  form per month
- Nominations will be reviewed by the Healthy Hero selection committee
- Award recipients will be notified of their nomination status via email
- One  award recipient will be named each month
- All award selections are final once communicated
- Rewards may not be switched or substituted for duplicate or unlisted items
Once selected, the Healthy Hero will be photographed and featured in promotions by Fit NOLA, Whole Foods Market ®, and Humana.
* photo release waivers will be signed by the Healthy Hero for these promotions
Tell us your story!
To be considered for the March & April 2018 Healthy Hero award, please answer the questions below or fill out this form by February 28, 2018!