Court Reporter - Orleans Parish Juvenile Court
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this document are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Record oral testimony, examination, judicial opinions, judgments and sentences of the Court by manual or machine shorthand.
- Swear in parties and witnesses.
- Read portion of transcript during trial on Judge’s requests.
- Ask speakers to clarify inaudible statements.
- Transcribe recorded material on computer.
- Assist with administrative duties, including handling correspondence, all necessary stenographic and clerical duties in Judge’s office.
- Official recorder of all judicial proceedings.
- Review all legal papers and documents pertaining to day’s proceedings to ensure that such are complete and accurate.
- Interact with various people involved in court activities in a courteous manner.
- Assist with various court operations in the assigned Section of Court.
- Perform other and related duties as assigned.
Job requirements and difficulty of work
- High School diploma or GED required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must be board certified; experience in courtroom reporting preferred; must type 60 wpm.
- Considerable knowledge of Juvenile Court procedures, scheduling, legal terminology (including terminology related to the Louisiana Children’s Code) and factors pertaining to Juvenile Court operations.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, supervisors, other departments, law firms/attorneys, social service agencies, probation department and the public, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, racial and cultural diversities and disabilities.
- Strong computer skills to include but not limited to knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to provide public access to or maintain confidentiality of Court information and records according to state law.
- Ability to competently serve the public with diplomacy and respect, including occasional encounters with irate/hostile persons.
- Ability to handle various Court Reporting equipment and technology in an expert manner.
- Must have thorough knowledge of judicial proceedings handled by Juvenile Court.
Incumbent performs duties according to a flexible, customary routine with priorities determined by the Judge, Clerk of Court and service needs of the Court and the public.
How to apply
Mail resume, cover letter, at least three professional references and salary requirements to:
Orleans Parish Juvenile Court
1100-B Milton Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70122
Fax: (504) 658-9556
Benefits and applicant/employee acknowledgment