Navigation Search Map (504) 658-4000

Translate this page

The City of New Orleans

Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu


Sign Permit (Vieux Carré Commission)

Building/Construction, Event/Film
Apply online?

A sign permit is required for all new allowable signage that affects the exterior of any building situated on private property in the French Quarter. The area of the VCC’s jurisdiction is bounded by Iberville St., N. Rampart St., Esplanade Ave., and the Mississippi River.

Before any exterior work can be undertaken on any property located within the Vieux Carre Historic District, the property owner, owner’s representative, lessee, architect or contractor must first make application to the VCC, specifying the anticipated work and the present and proposed use and/or treatment of the property before obtaining a permit from the Commission. Applications for permits fall into four categories: general work, painting, signage, and banners (temporary), and based upon the nature of most work applications, it is expected that support materials, as specified in VCC Submission Guidelines, will be needed to fully explain whatever work is proposed.


Scanned materials provided by the applicant will be required in order to process an application. Without them, the application will be returned to the applicant until all required materials are submitted as well. VCC staff will NOT scan documents for any proposal or applicant. NO EXCEPTIONS.


  • VCC permit fees are incorporated into fees charged by Safety and Permits

Required documents/steps

  • Authorization from property owner giving permission for property use for the permit purpose, if applicant is not the owner 
  • Plot plan indicating the location and setbacks of the proposed signage 
  • Measurements of the frontage of tenant space and the square footage of the wall in which the business has its main entrance 
  • Other supporting materials as necessary
  • Registered Sign Contractor is required in order to obtain sign permits

* Please note that due to the public review process and in order to provide the Commission with complete materials for a thorough understanding of any proposal, the staff will schedule the subject property application for a hearing only after all the necessary materials have been provided. ALL initial applications must be received by the VCC office two (2) weeks prior to the date of the meeting at which the proposal is to be considered.

  • Notify the New Orleans Fire Department, Fire Prevention Division - Plan Examiner (504) 658- 4774 if the erection of, or the sign itself will:
  • Obstruct or close any streets
  • Obstruct or close a sidewalk
  • Impede a fire department connection to a building
  • Obstruct a fire hydrant

Issuing agency

Vieux Carré Commission

You may also need

User guides

Add to Twitter Add to Facebook Add to LinkedIn Add to Google Bookmarks Add to Reddit

Last updated: 6/7/2016 10:39:36 AM

Was this page helpful?


 Security code