Navigation Search Map (504) 658-4000

Translate this page

Winter Weather, Boil Water Advisory, Low Water Pressure

Residents and visitors are advised to take precautions during winter weather. A boil water advisory is in effect for the entire East Bank of New Orleans due to a further drop in water pressure Thursday morning, Jan. 18.

Visit NOLA Ready

The City of New Orleans

Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu

Electrical / Mechanical Contractor

Class "A" Master Electrical License

Apply online?

In order to ensure public safety through compliance with the International Construction Code (ICC) as adopted by the City of New Orleans as well as all other related state and parish regulations, electricians performing work within the City of New Orleans are required to obtain and renew annually an Electrical License from the City. Electricians with ICC certifications who have passed LA State Licensing Board Examination can apply as Class "A" Electrical Contractors' ($125.00).

Duration: Valid for one year


  • Class A Electrical Contractor $125.00 annual (delinquent fee of $10.00 per month/ 1st business day after birthday. Licenses that are delinquent for over a year will have to retest with ICC in order to obtain another Class A license.)
  • Class A Electrical Contractor (inactive) $30.00 annual (delinquent fee of $10.00 per month/considered to be delinquent 1st business day after birthday)

Required documents/steps

This license may be obtained by either of the two ways: {A} National Testing- International Code Council (1-877-783-3926) – or – {B} State Testing-- Louisiana State Licensing Board of Contractors (2525 Quail Dr., Baton Rouge, LA 70808 (1-225-785-2301). You must submit a passing letter from ICC or if you passed the state test submit a copy of the State License (State Wide) and qualifying party letter and all requirements.

  • Complete the respective Electrical License Application(New or Renewal)
  • Must be 18 years of age or older
  • Present two current passport size photos.
  • Must submit current proof of insurance, General Liability not less than $500,000 and Workers Compensation no less than the state requirement. Note: In a situation where applicant claims to have no employees, he must present an affidavit notarized stating so.
  • Submit “Louisiana General Sales Tax number” card or letter from the Department of Revenue and Taxation. Visit (LDR).
  • Submit proof of Occupational/ General Business License (If out of Orleans Parish you must register your Parish Occupational License with the City of New Orleans, Bureau of Revenue, City Hall, Room 1W15  with a copy of your Parish Occupational License.
  • Proof of Federal ID number
  • Copy of Driver’s License or State Identification Card and previous Electrical License Card.
  • Original copy of State License (if applicable).
  • Inactive Status. Class “A” Electrical Contractor may, by written request and approval from the Director, change his license to inactive status. Inactive status must maintained for a period of one year. Must be renewed each year.

Issuing agency

Safety and Permits, Bureau of Revenue (to register out-of-state occupational license)

User guides

Add to Twitter Add to Facebook Add to LinkedIn Add to Google Bookmarks Add to Reddit

Last updated: 11/27/2017 10:39:26 AM

Was this page helpful?


 Security code