Navigation Search Map (504) 658-4000

Translate this page

The City of New Orleans

Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu

Electrical / Mechanical Contractor

Class "B" Journeyman (Mechanic and Gasfitters) Mechanical Contractor License

Apply online?

As adopted by the City of New Orleans, mechanical contractors performing work within New Orleans are required to obtain and renew annually a Journeyman Mechanic Contractor License and Gasfitters from the City. You may hold either or both, however each have separate tests and separate payments.

Duration: One year, renewal 90 days prior or before your birthday (late fees apply starting the day after)


  • Any person engaged in the trade of installing or repairing equipment, materials or apparatus must be employed by and work under the supervision of a Class A Master Contractor.



  • Exam fee – determined by the ICC
  • $55 fee for the license (Active)
  • License renewal late fees are determined by the number of months from the date of your birthday which is your renewal date. It is $5 for each month you are delinquent.

Required documents/steps

Before your new license can be issued you must submit the following that apply to you. There will be no exceptions. Failure to provide the required information will cause a delay of issuance of your license.

Step 1: National Testing - International Code Council – (1-877-783-3926). You must pass an exam from ICC (, collect and submit all listed requirements.

Step 2: You must apply in person if you are a new applicant. Complete the respective Mechanical license application. You must be 18 years of age or older. You must present and submit:

  • Present two current small passport size photos for each license
  • Copy of Drivers License or State Identification.
  • Make check or money order payable to the “City of New Orleans”
  • Copy of passing letter
  • Applicable fee

Renewals: If you are interested in you may do so by mail or in person. Licenses need to be renewed each year before the applicant’s birthday. Note: If your license has lapsed for more than two years, you will be required to take and pay for another test.

Issuing agency

Safety and Permits

User guides

Add to Twitter Add to Facebook Add to LinkedIn Add to Google Bookmarks Add to Reddit

Last updated: 11/27/2017 10:45:15 AM

Was this page helpful?


 Security code