Taxi / Tour Guide / Pedicab
Pedicab Operator's Permit
A Pedicab Operator’s Permit is required for operators of all pedicabs to ensure that City of New Orleans’ citizens and visitors have access to safe, efficient, reliable, and accessible for hire transportation. Pedicab rules and regulations are in a pilot phase as of 2012 and subject to change pending City Council review. If you have additional questions about Pedicab processes, please contact Karen Thibodeaux (email@example.com) or Yolanda Brownfield (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Taxi office: (504) 658-7176
Must be at least 18 years of age with a valid driver’s license.
Shall never have been convicted of anywhere under the laws of this state or any other state or of the United States of a felony or a misdemeanor or the offense or offenses equivalent thereto of homicide, aggravated rape, aggravated battery, simple rape, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated burglary, armed robbery, attempted aggravated battery, attempted aggravated rape, attempted aggravated robbery, aggravated assault, or sale of narcotics.
Step 1: Submit all of the following documents and information at one time (incomplete documentation will not be accepted):
- Completed application (if brought into the office completed, it must be notarized – if it is filled out and signed in person, it does not need to be notarized) and all required documents must be delivered in person to New Orleans City Hall, One Stop Shop, 7th floor.
- Driver’s License from any U.S. State
- Proof that driver is physically qualified to drive a pedicab safely and that hearing and eyesight is unimpaired (TFHV-Pedicab-Medical-Formform to be filled out and signed by a physician)
- Defensive driving certificate from a Louisiana Department of Public Safety, Office of Motor Vehicles approved defensive driving program. (List is available at https://expresslane.dps.louisiana.gov/CDLForms/certifiedDrivingSchoolLists.aspx.)
- An original employment letter or independent operator agreement, completed by the company, in which the driver will be working
- Original letter from approved company indicating that the applicant has successfully completed training
Step 2: Upon submission of the application, the applicant must complete the following:
- Federal Background Check/Criminal History Report performed by the Louisiana State Police or an FBI-Approved Channeler. Results must be returned directly to the Bureau by mail or email. Results may be mailed to: Ground Transportation Bureau, 1300 Perdido St., Room 7W03, New Orleans, LA 70112. Results may be emailed to TaxiTests@nola.gov. Testing Facility Information
- Drug Test results from a CLIA certified laboratory of a Standard 5 Panel Urine Drug Test for Cocaine, Marijuana (THC, cannabinoids), Phencyclidine (PCP - angel dust), Amphetamines (including methamphetamines, also known as crystal meth), and Opiates (including heroin, codeine, and morphine). Results must be returned directly to the Bureau via email to TaxiTests@nola.gov. Testing Facility Information
- Passing Examination Grade of at least 70%.
Issuing agencyTaxicab and For Hire Vehicle Bureau