Taxi / Tour Guide / Pedicab
Tour Guide Permit
In order to ensure that residents and visitors have options related to tours and hospitality in New Orleans, the City regulates the issuance and renewal of licenses to Tour Planners. To obtain an initial permit, Tour Guides must pass a test on the history and culture of New Orleans.
Duration: Valid for 2 years, expiring on applicant’s birthday
- Must be 18 years or older.
- No person who has been convicted of a felony within five years preceding the date of application shall be permitted to receive a tour guide license.
- New Permit fee $50.00
- Renewal Permit fee $20.00
- Completed application
- Valid State issued identification card or driver's license
- Pass written test on history and culture of New Orleans with a minimum score of 70%. At the discretion of the Department of Safety and Permits the applicant may be required to have a verbal examination and an interview.
- Federal Background Check/Criminal History Report performed by the Louisiana State Police or an FBI-Approved Channeler. Results must be returned directly to the Bureau by mail or email. Results may be mailed to: Ground Transportation Bureau, 1300 Perdido St., Room 7W03, New Orleans, LA 70112. Results may be emailed to TaxiTests@nola.gov. Testing Facility Information NOTE: Drug testing is not required for Tour Guides.
Taxicab and For Hire Vehicle Bureau