Short Term Rental Zoning Restrictions
The Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance provides detailed use standards for operation of Short Term Rentals, which include, but are not limited to, the following will take effect on April 1, 2017:
Short Term Rentals - Generally
- The license placard provided by Safety and Permits must be prominently displayed on the front facade of the structure in a location clearly visible from the street during all periods of occupancy.
- Short Term Rentals are not permitted outdoors, in an accessory structure (e.g. shed, garage, etc.), or in a recreational vehicle.
- Only one party of guests are permitted per Short Term Rental.
- Use of the Short Term Rental for any commercial or social events is prohibited.
- The Short Term Rental shall outwardly appear as a residential dwelling.
- Short Term Rentals shall not adversely affect the residential character of the neighborhood nor shall the use generate noise, vibration, glare, odors, or other effects that unreasonably interfere with any person's enjoyment of his or her residence.
Accessory Short Term Rentals
- The portion of the dwelling licensed as an Accessory Short Term Rental is limited to three (3) bedrooms, and occupancy is limited to six (6) guests. (There must be at least one bedroom in the dwelling for the owner-occupant.)
- The owner-occupant shall occupy the dwelling and be present during any Short Term Rental occupancy.
- Proof of owner-occupancy will be established by verification of a Homestead Exemption in the name of the applicant.
- Accessory Short Term Rentals are prohibited in the French Quarter.
Temporary Short Term Rentals
- Temporary Short Term Rentals must have an in-town property manager available at all times if the owner is out of town during a period of rental.
- Temporary Short Term Rental licenses allow a maximum of 90-rental nights per license year.
- Occupancy is limited to two (2) guests per bedroom or a total of ten (10) guests, whichever is less.
- The entire dwelling may be rented and the owner/occupant of the dwelling does not need to be present.
- No signs advertising the presence of a Short Term Rental are allowed.
- Temporary Short Term Rental licenses may be issued for separate periods or for a continuous 90-day duration. If an applicant chooses to seek permits for separate periods, a new license application must be filed and approved.
- Temporary Short Term Rentals are prohibited in the French Quarter.
Commercial Short Term Rentals
- Allows for rental of an entire dwelling, occupancy is limited to five (5) bedrooms and ten (10) guests.
- The owner/occupant does not need to be present during the rental period.
- No limitation on the number of rental nights per license year.
- Must be in a non-residential zoning district. Refer to the table on Where Short Term Rentals are Allowed.
- Commercial Short Term Rentals are prohibited in non-VCE portions of the French Quarter.