Navigation Search Map (504) 658-4000

Translate this page

Low Water Pressure, Boil Water Advisory

Impacts from winter weather are causing low water pressure. A boil water advisory is in effect for the East Bank of New Orleans.

Visit NOLA Ready

The City of New Orleans

Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu


Violation Types

Staff inspectors survey buildings in the Vieux Carré to ensure work in progress conforms to specifications listed on posted permit(s). Any work not "permitted" in advance by the Commission will be cited and/or stopped accordingly. Violations include:

  • any exterior work executed without a permit
  • improper or illegally placed signs
  • lack of maintenance to the exterior of buildings including but not limited to deteriorated millwork, missing stucco, deterioration or lack of mortar, lack of paint, missing or deteriorated architectural elements, missing/broken windows, etc.

While there is an outstanding violation on a property, no One Stop Shop permits (either from the VCC or Department of Safety & Permits) will be issued for the property unless the permit is for correcting an unsafe condition or to resolve the cited violations.


On the occasion that work on the exterior of a property commences without benefit of review or a permit from the VCC, a STOP WORK ORDER may be placed on the property. This is a legal order that all persons cease, desist from, and stop work at once pertaining to construction alterations, additions, or installations on the premises.

All persons acting contrary to this order or removing or mutilating the notice posted on the property are liable to summary arrest unless such action is authorized by the Vieux Carré Commission. The removal of a STOP WORK ORDER requires a public, Commission hearing and approval by the Commission.

​Violation Proceedings 

When a violation is noted, the owner of the property is notified in writing and requested to contact the Commission in order to resolve the problem. Staff is available to assist the property owner in understanding the policies and regulations of the Commission.

If the property owner fails to respond to the violation notice or is unwilling to correct the problem, the Commission files an affidavit of charges against parties responsible for the violations with the City's Administrative Adjudication Bureau and/or the applicable court(s). Commission inspectors are deputized by the New Orleans Police Department and may issue a summons directly to a responsible party on the premises for certain violations.

Report a Violation

To report a potential violation, please fill out the form found here or call the VCC office at 504.658.1420. The VCC appreciates the efforts of those who assist the Commission by reporting violations in order to protect the buildings and people in the Vieux Carré.

Additional Useful Links

Add to Twitter Add to Facebook Add to LinkedIn Add to Google Bookmarks Add to Reddit

Last updated: 9/19/2016 2:49:36 PM

Was this page helpful?


 Security code