Household Items Recycling
The Department of Sanitation offers monthly recycling drop-off at the Recycling Drop-Off Center at 2829 Elysian Fields Avenue on the second Saturday of every month from 8:00am until 1:00pm.
View the household items recycling drop-off schedule, including Household Hazardous Waste Day and Shred Days.
Items Accepted at the Recycling Drop-Off Center
All food items should be thoroughly washed before recycling. Monthly Drop off-Sorting is not required; however, citizens should separate paper, metals, cardboard and plastics, which are disposed of through different processes.
- Paper Products (newspapers, junk mail, phone books, catalog, office paper, color inserts)
- Plastics #1 through #7 (water, soda, juice, detergent, plastic pots from nurseries, plastic bags, etc.)
- Metals (Aluminum, Tin, Steel Cans)
- Cardboard/boxboard (cereal boxes)/waxboard (juice and milk containers)
- Mardi Gras beads
- E-waste (computers, laptops, cell/phones, telephone systems, cable, x-Boxes, Playstations, Wii, MP3s, DVRs, DVDs, UPS, circuit systems, ink jet and toner cartridges, laptops, printers, fax machines, uninterruptible power supplies, circuit boards, digital cameras/picture frames, stereos, speakers, MP3 players, security systems, GPS devices, video games)
- Televisions (limit 4)
- Batteries (AA, AAA, AAAA, C, D, 6, & 9 volt)
- Light bulbs (incandescent and fluorescent)
- Tires (limit 4)
Special Recycling Dates
The Department of Sanitation coordinates a number of opportunities to recycle special household objects. These include:
Household Hazardous Waste Day
Household Hazardous Waste (HWW) encompasses leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable, or reactive ingredients. Residents cannot and should not place Household Hazardous Waste in trash during regular pick-up.
- May 13, 2017: Household Hazardous Materials Collection Day
On Shred Days, the Department of Sanitation offers citizens the ability to shred personal and/or sensitive paper goods up to 50 pounds per person. This is a free community service offered in partnership with Iron Mountain.
- April 8, 2017: Shred Day
- July 8, 2017 Shred Day
- October 14, 2017: Shred Day
- December 9, 2017: Shred Day
Additional Useful Links