Fire Safety Tips
Citizens can do many things to increase the fire safety readiness of their homes. These include:
- Regularly Check Smoke Alarms - take advantage of NOFD's Free Smoke Dectector Installation Program and have fire fighters install working smoke detectors in homes
- Don't Overload Circuits - do not place cords and wires under rugs or in high traffic areas. Have outlets that sputter or emit an odor professionally repaired or replaced.
- Follow Manufacturer's Directions - Overheating, unusual smells, shorts and sparks are all warning signs that appliances need to be shut off, then replaced or repaired.
- Use Safety Caps - cover unused outlets, especially if there are small children in the home
- Practice Generator Safety - Keep anything combustible at least three feet away.
- Have a Fire Escape Plan - Practice an escape plan from every room of the home or business. Ensure family members of all ages have an emergency phone number and alternate meeting spot memorized.
Additional Useful Links