Special Officers Section
Special Officers Section issues and monitors Special Officer permits after ensuring private sector security employees have met State and City requirements.
Qualifications for Special Officer Positions
Those wishing to qualify for Special Officer must present:
- A completed Commission Application
A letter from the employing company on its letterhead
- A photocopy of your Driver’s License or State Identification Card
- A copy of your Social Security Card
- Current Original firearm qualification certificate
- Fingerprint card
- A check or money order for $50.00 made out to the “City of New Orleans.”
All applicants are subject to background check and applications must be approved by the Superintendent of Police, which averages roughly 2 weeks. NOPD will contact your employer when commission is ready for pickup.
For more information, see Louisiana State Law §1379.1 regarding Special Officers, powers and duties, and concealed handgun permit through the Louisiana State Law website and the City of New Orleans Municipal Code.
Last updated: 10/13/2016 4:05:39 PM
Was this page helpful?