Race / Marathon
A race/marathon is a distance running event which typically requires street closures and detours that affect the normal flow of city traffic.
Download the Special Events Permit Guide for more information about permitting requirements.
- Begin the application process at least one month before the event date
- Click here to learn more about the application process and requirements to organize a race
- Develop and submit a detailed event route with your application
- Determination of whether the event will require towing services to remove vehicles illegally parked along the race route
- If street parking meters will be blocked off, click here for more information
- If tents of any size are used, click here for more information
- If banners or signage will be displayed across a street, click here for more information
- If a stage and/or concession stands will be erected along the race route, click here for more information
- Provide a sanitation (clean-up) plan and copy of contract with the clean-up company if the event includes throws and/or debris are produced
- Events with more than 1,000 attendees require emergency medical coverage and additional security coverage
- Events with more than 8,000 participants need to submit event details through contact form for consideration for Event Support Team meeting
- Events with more than 20,000 participants are required to attend an Event Support Team meeting one to two months in advance
- Any cancellations must be done a minimum of two hours prior to the event. Less than two hours notification will cause forfeiture of all police fees for that date
- If you plan to organize an event before or after the race, you would need to apply for a Special Event permit
THE OFFICE OF CULTURAL ECONOMY, THE MAYOR’S OFFICE, AND/OR THE INDIVIDUAL PERMITTING DEPARTMENTS (I.E. REVENUE) NO LONGER ACCEPT APPLICATIONS. REMIT APPLICATIONS TO THE ONE STOP SHOP ON THE 7TH FLOOR OF CITY HALL, OR YOU CAN VISIT THE ONE STOP ONLINE AT http://www.nola.gov/onestop/ FOR ONLINE APPLICATIONS.
Level of Impact
Local Special Event
Emerging Special Event
Expanding Special Event
High-Impact Special Event
Last updated: 8/15/2016 11:05:08 AM
Was this page helpful?