Mardi Gras Fixed Location Vendor Permit
A Mardi Gras Fixed Location Vendor permit is for vendors during Mardi Gras with a fixed location such as a truck or trailer. All vendors are required to purchase an original City of New Orleans Occupational License, an original Mayoralty Permit, and I.D. badge for each category. These documents must be in your possession and visible at all times when conducting sales. Vendors may not sell alcohol, T-shirts and/or clothing, CD’s, DVD’s, VCR tapes or items that are not defined as novelties. Review the official Mardi Gras Procedures and Mardi Gras Guide for more information.
- Vendors may not sell alcohol, T-shirts and/or clothing, CD’s, DVD’s, VCR tapes or items that are not defined as novelties.
- Mardi Gras Vending permits are NOT VALID in the (French Quarter\Vieux Carre) or in the 100 blocks of Bourbon, Royal, and Chartres Streets.
- Vending time shall be consistent. Commencing two (2) hours before the start of a parade and ending two (2) hours after the parade ends.
- Vending is not allowed in the CBD (the River to Claiborne Avenue and Esplanade Avenue to Howard Avenue) before 6:00 p.m. for parades that are scheduled during WEEKDAYS.
- During the Mardi Gras season, it shall be unlawful for any peddler or vendor of prepared food to cook, sell, or vend from a trailer, or other mobile or temporary facility, or a vehicle, or on foot, any food or merchandise on the sidewalk on the same side of the street, in the street, or on the neutral ground (median) in front of any lawfully operating restaurant, cafeteria, public or private school, or any concession operated by a booster club sanctioned by the department or recreation.
- All fixed location vendors must comply with all regulations and requirements of the Department of Health, Safety and Permits (electrical and building inspections), the Fire/Bureau of Fire Prevention, Police and Finance.
- Trailers, vans and any appendant thereto from which a vendor sells shall not exceed 30 feet in length or 9 feet in width. All vendors must sell and display from a vehicle, No stands, card table, etc. are allowed on public streets, sidewalks, alleyways, park squares and or neutral grounds.
- Fixed location vehicles must not block intersections, sidewalks or fire hydrants. Must at all times comply with Chapter 154 of the code of the City of New Orleans, as it relates to traffic regulations, especially, but not exclusively with regard to distances from fire hydrants and intersections.
- When the use of a fixed location interferes with a parade along a particular route or interferes with public safety, the City shall have the option to deny the use of such location for the period of time deemed necessary.
- Vendors selling from fixed locations shall provide containers sufficient for storage, in a sanitary manner, for all trash, garbage, or any other refuse generated by their business activities at each authorized location during “parade time” as defined in Section 34-216 of the Code of the City of New Orleans.
- A LOTTERY WILL BE HELD TO DETERMINE THE ORDER OF LOCATION SELECTION. LOTTERY PLACEMENTS ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE. Download the Lottery Card
- Occasional Occupational License Per Location: $150.00
- Mayoralty Permit, Per Category/Per Location: $500.25
- I.D. Badge Per Location $5.00
- Sales Tax Deposit, Per Permit/Per Location: $1,000.00
- Total Fee Per Location: $1,655.25
Apply for and obtain:
- Obtain placement in the Lottery Selection process and select a Fixed Location at the Lottery Placement Selection
- Complete the registration application, Schedule A. Food and beverage vendors must submit a valid Health Certificate and Fire inspection certificate before the permit and license are issued - click here for more information. A picture I.D. will also be issued upon issuance of the permit/license.
- Sign the Payment Voucher Form (to process the sales tax deposit refund at the conclusion of the carnival season). Obtain a blank sales tax form to file sales in order to pay sales taxes.
- Contact the Health Department to apply for a Health Certificate and schedule an appointment for inspection of the vehicle or trailer. State Department of Sanitarian Services (Health Department): 1450 Poydras St., Suite 1204, (504) 568-7970 - Hours: 8:00a.m.-4:30p.m.
- Provide a listing of all items to be sold as well as the supplier name where the items were purchased.
- Contact the Fire Department to schedule a vehicle inspection. New Orleans Fire Department/Department of Fire Prevention: 317 Decatur St., 2nd Floor, (504) 658-4700 - Hours: 8:00a.m.-4:30p.m.
- Pay all applicable permit and license fees.
NOTE: MOBILE VENDORS MUST RETURN WITHIN FIVE (5) DAYS TO THE BUREAU OF REVENUE WITH A VALID HEALTH AND FIRE PERMIT IN ORDER TO OBTAIN A MAYORALTY PERMIT, OCCUPATIONAL LICENSE AND I.D. BADGE OR THE LOCATION YOU SELECTED WILL BE REASSIGNED.
Fixed Locations on Private Property
- Submit an affidavit from the property owner granting authorization to use said property. Affidavit must include the address of the property, days to be used, rate charged as well as the purpose of the use of the property.
- Contact the Health Department to apply for a Health Certificate and schedule an appointment for inspection of the vehicle or trailer. State Department of Sanitarian Services (Health Department): 1450 Poydras St. Suite 1204, (504) 568-5233 – Hours: 8:00a.m.-4:30p.m. Provide a listing of all items to be sold as well as the supplier name where the items were purchased.
- Schedule a vehicle inspection appointment if food and beverages are being sold . New Orleans Fire Department/Department of Fire Prevention: 317 Decatur St., 2ND Floor, (504) 658-4700 - Hours: 8:00a.m.-4:30p.m.
Annual Food Truck Inspection Dates Tentatively Scheduled - check back frequently in case of updates.
Annual Food Truck Inspection will be performed at 14399 Old Gentilly Rd on the dates and times listed below. Representatives from The New Orleans Fire Department, Louisiana LPG, Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals Sanitarians, and the New Orleans Fire Department will be onsite to perform required inspections.
Thursday, February 9,2017 10AM -3PM
Tuesday, February 14,2017 10AM-3PM
Wednesday, February 15,2017 10AM-3PM
Complete the registration application, Schedule A if you do not currently have a Revenue account number. Food and beverage vendors must submit a valid Health Certificate before application is processed as well as a valid picture I.D.
Pay all applicable permit and license fees
- Sales Tax is due on all sales made during the carnival season and is due within thirty (30) days of the conclusion of Mardi Gras. Failure to pay sales tax results in the forfeiture of the sales tax deposit and sales tax is still due. Sign the Payment Voucher Form in order to process the sales tax deposit refund at the conclusion of the carnival season. Obtain a blank sales tax form to file sales in order to pay sales taxes. The form is due at the conclusion of the carnival season. Failure to pay within thirty (30) days will result in further enforcement action.
- Submit Health and Fire Prevention Certificate.
Sales Tax is due on all sales made during the carnival season and is due within thirty (30) days of the conclusion of Mardi Gras. Failure to pay sales tax results in the forfeiture of the sales tax deposit and sales tax is still due.
Bureau of Revenue, Safety & Permits, NOFD
You may also need